- Photo sizesSquare
XXS - tiny
XS - extra small
S - small
M - medium
L - large
Home / Abhayagiri 2019 Winter Retreat 28
A look at the changing face of Abhayagiri during the monastery's three-month winter retreat, including pictures of the annual celebration of Māgha Pūjā, a day honoring the spontaneous gathering of the Buddha and 1,250 of his first enlightened disciples.
- The monastery's cloister area during a rain in early February, when many parts of California saw record rainfall.
- The cloister area after an overnight snow in early February.
- Oak trees in a mist.
- Oak trees in snow.
- Monks walking to the meal during a drizzle.
- Monks walking to the meal during a rare, sunny day this winter.
- An outdoor Buddha image beside a freshly-swollen creek in early February.
- The same outdoor Buddha during a warm, sunny day in mid March.
- A sāmaṇera bundles up against the cold as he does walking meditaiton outside the library window.
- A retreat crew member arrives for breakfast after an overnight snow in early February.
- A misty mountain top opposite Abhayagiri in early February..
- The same mountain after a snow in mid February.
- A retreat crew member baking a cake in the kitchen.
- Retreat crew members cooking on the stove.
- The monastery's outdoor Buddha shrine after an overnight snow in mid February.