Home / Songkran 2019 20
On Sunday, April 14th the Abhayagiri community celebrated the traditional Thai New Year known as Songkran, an occasion for ritual cleansing where Buddha images are ceremonially bathed in fragrant water and the lay Sangha has the opportunity to offer requisites and wash the hands of senior monks.
- Monks bathe a Buddha image with fragrant water during Songkran, the Thai New Year celebration.
- Lay guests line up to offer alms to Abhayagiri's community of monks.
- A monk collects alms from the Abhayagiri lay Sangha.
- Lay devotees offer alms.
- A lay guest offers a ceremonial water bath to the Buddha.
- Lay guests pay respect to the Buddha with a water bath.
- Monks select from the meal offerings.
- A lay guest waits patiently for the meal to begin.
- Lay guests shower the Buddha...
- ...and each other.
- Seen from outside the meditation hall, monks chant to the Buddha image.
- A ceremonial washing of the Ajahns' hands takes place in the meditation hall.
- A lay guest participates in the ceremony.
- The ceremonial washing.
- Senior monks receive lay guests.